Walk the Great Wall of China
Crowds are a definite issue with the Great Wall: at popular sections at popular times, it becomes not the Great Wall of China, but rather the Great Wall of Tourists. It is possible to rent a taxi for ¥400-800 for the round trip including waiting time. You may want to bring a jacket against the wind or cold in the chillier season - in the summer you will need lots of water, and it will be cheaper if you bring your own.
- You can rent bicycles throughout the city and then get a decent map and pick your way through the backstreets (be prepared to get lost, but that's half the fun!).
- Alternatively, Cycle China can organize guided rides on decent quality bikes.
- Cycle China, 12 Jingshan East Street (opposite Jingshan Park East Gate); +86 10 6402-5653
Traditional Chinese massage
Sightseeing, shopping, hiking, eating and drinking all take it out of you after a while, but fortunately in Beijing a remedy is always close at hand! There’s an abundance of TCM clinics, massage parlors and spas which can de-stress your days and help your health from as little as ¥60 an hour. The choices listed below are worth visiting.
- Beijing Massage Hospital (+86 10 6616 8880) at 7 Baochan Hutong in Xicheng specializes in tuina therapy performed by blind masseurs, but they also perform acupuncture and moxibustion.
- Dragonfly has several branches offering great Chinese massages, shiatsu and aromatherapy. Prices are high by Beijing standards, but still great value given the five-star experience offered. There’s a branch near the Forbidden City at 60 Donghuamen Jie (+86 10 6527 9368) and another on the ground floor of the Eastern Inn on San Litun Nan Lu (+86 10 6593 6066).
Shopping for clothing at the Beijing Zoo market
There are several clothing malls around, but don’t waste your time. Go straight to the one at the basement (Julong Fuzhuangcheng,) – you can find an entrance next to the McDonald’s. Can’t really negotiate and bargain – because they are offering quite a good price compared to other places already. Â The place closes at 3 so go there early.
Try our automatic itinerary generator. Plan a trip based on your budget, travel interests and duration. It's fast and easy!