It is difficult to use if you don't understand Chinese. The bus staff speak little English, and only a few bus lines in the city center broadcast stop names in English. Bus stop signs are also entirely in Chinese. While traveling in Beijing China, keep a map of the bus routes as you step in Beijing buses.
Most bus fares are relatively cheap! For passengers paying by cash:
- Lines 1-199 operate on a flat rate of ￥1 per journey.
- Lines 300-899 charge ￥1 for the first 12 km of each journey and ￥0.5 for each additional 5 km.
- Buses with air-condition (800-899) start at ￥2.
- The night buses (200-299) charge ￥2 per journey.
If you get a public transportation card from a metro station (a card that acts as a debit card for the metro and buses) you can get a 60% discount on all fares: Lines 1-499 operate on a flat rate of ￥0.40 per journey. Lines 500-899 get 60% off the cash price. There are also 3-day, 7-day and 15-day passes available for travelers. There is no return ticket or day ticket.
- Most buses with a line number under 200 run daily from 5:00 to 23:00.
- Buses with a line number greater than 300 run from 6AM till 10PM. All buses with a line number in the 200s are night buses.
- Many routes get very crowded during rush hours (6:30AM-9AM and 5PM-9PM).
- On all major holidays, there will be more frequent service on most city routes.
Capital Taxi Company
Beijing Taxi Company
The Beijing Subway is a rapid transit rail network that serves the urban and suburban districts of Beijing municipality.
See www.ebeijing.gov.cn/feature_2/BeijingSubway/ for subway routes & timetable.
A flat fare of ¥ 2.00 with unlimited transfers applies to all lines except the Airport Express, which costs ¥25. Children below 1.2 metres (47 in) in height ride for free when accompanied by a paying adult.
The subway is generally closed after midnight, unless a special occasion prompts extended operating hours. The first trains depart terminals at around 5 AM and the last leave at around 11 PM. The Airport Express train starts at around 6 AM.
- Distance unit
- Metric (km/h)
- Traffic system
- Right-hand drive