Hiring a private driver in Bali is not very hard. There are many companies offer this service but choosing the right one can be quite a problem. The post will give you useful tips for hiring a good driver in Bali.
I decided to go on the trip to Bali at last minutes. I should not have had such a great trip if I had not knownJustgola. The app helped me plan my trip within a very short time base on my interests while I did not know any things about Bali’s history, people or culture a part of their beautiful volcanoes, crystal- clear beaches and green rice fields. In addition, hiring a private driver in Bali was always the decision that I have ever made. All made my trip!
Photo by Justgola.com
I wondered myself that taking an organized tour in Bali was like throwing out your money for an awkward tour group with a disappointing guide or itinerary while Bali had lots of free things to do and quiet places to immerse into the peaceful nature. But you have to know a trade- off that tour guides will show you hidden sides of a place and culture that you cannot understand on your own.
Photo by Kai 'Oswald' Seidler
It’s quite easy to hire a personal driver in Southeast Asia. Besides, renting a car or motorbike for self-drive is not unusual in Bali. Taxi and drivers are also the easiest way to get around the Bali.AsI was not confident enough to ride a motorbike to explore on my own, I found a private driver and he could handle everything for me. The first day we went around the island starting from 8:30 – 4:30 for just over $20 USD and the second day he drove me for about ten hours, including to my next destination a few hours away from Ubud, for just under $50. 2 days was enough for me to fully discover Bali from the top of volcanoes and mountains to back roads flanked by rice fields, temples, small villages, restaurants and local lifestyle.
Photo by Jenny
Tips for hiring a driver in Bali
Hiring a private driver in Bali is not very hard. There are many companies offer this service but choosing the right one can be a problem. You may already hear about some scams in Bali like being charged overrates or changed intended itineraries. However, most people are trying to do their job, if you know these tips, you can have a satisfied trip with a private driver in the wonderful island.
Photo by TropicaLiving
- Know clearly about your itinerary – you should have ideas of places you want to go, how long the duration is at each stop. It will be easier to work out an agreement with your driver as both of you are clear on what you are going do to. It seems to take lots of time? Not at all! I used a great free app to plan my trip within a few minutes and printed the PDF itinerary out with detailed information of wishlist and duration and gave it to my driver. Thanks to the great pre-trip planning stage, everything was more than just perfect!
- You should not let your driver make up the itinerary for you, be not clear about where to go can lead to confusion and disappointment afterward
- Know the rate before hiring a driver – no one wants to be charged overrate, of course. The best way to avoid it is asking forgone travelers or asking different drivers and companies about the rate before making a decision.
- Define clearly what is included – Usually agreed deal comes up with the driving fee and gas. Others such as extra expenses, entrances fees, and meals are not included.
- Ask your hotel for recommendations – they’ll get a small commission, but they make sure to introduce to you a good driver. It also gives you a chance to contact your hotel if you need help or something doesn’t go smoothly as the plan.
Photo by Paracetamol
- Hire driver at legitimate company – It’s safer to hire your driver at a legitimate company than hiring freelance driver randomly on the streets.
- Make sure that your driver is licensed tour guide so that he can give you information about attractions.
Photo by RudGlazn
- Be careful with companies offering driver service only for sightseeing tours - many itineraries are full of souvenir shopping and overpriced restaurants. Make sure that you can change itineraries to suit your interests and you can choose by yourself places you want to visit.
- ‘Test out’ a driver– you should hire a driver for a short trip to know whether you trust him before choosing him to go on a long haul with you.
Recommended Bali driver services
- If you plan to go to Ubud, I recommend to you Made Dego (ma-day day-go) who was my driver. You can contact him via phone at +62 82 147 266 785.
- Bali Cab (BaliCab.com) - good selection of cars, friendly cancellation policy, good rates.
- Bali Driver (TheBaliDriver.com) - good selection of cars, friendly cancellation policy, good rates.
- Bali Island Car Rental (BaliIslandCarRental.com) - good selection of cars, friendly cancellation policy, good rates.
- Toyota Avanza with driver 500,000 - 600,000 IDR/day
- Toyota Innova with driver 600,000 - 700,000 IDR/day
- Toyota Alphard (luxurious car) with driver 1,600,000 - 2,000,000 IDR/day
- Usually, price covers from 8 to 10 hours driver service per day. Usually, you can get extra hours for an additional fee.
For a cheap, fast and convenient, I suggest that you should hire a private driver. Follow my tips for choosing the right service, you will have a delight trip in the wonderful island.