Attraction 599, Jhongshan Rd., Yuchih Township, Nantou County 555, Taiwan Published on: 13-11-2015
Image copyrights belong to authors
Why Sun Moon Lake is special ?
Sun Moon Lake is the largest body of water in Taiwan as well as a tourist attraction. The east side of the lake resembles a sun while the west side resembles a moon, hence the name. The sunrise and sunset view attracts everyone. Nestled at 760 meters, this lake is famous for its clear, sparkling blue water set against a picturesque mountain backdrop. This is the largest lake in Taiwan and a traditional spot for newlywed couples to take their honeymoon. It has also been a center of aboriginal life for thousands of years, with aborignal people involved in its tourist industry since the 1930s. The lake and its surrounding countryside have been designated one of thirteen national scenic areas in Taiwan.
What to explore at Sun Moon Lake?
Sun Moon Lake features the only full-range 3D tours (lake, sky and land) in Taiwan. The lake cycling trail has been dubbed by CNNGO, CNN as one of the most beautiful cycling trails in the world. Top scenic spots in the lake area include Lalu island, Weneu Temple, Cien Pagoda, Lalu Island, Syuentzang Temple, Xian Mountain, Yongjie Bridge, Tongxin Bridge, Christian Church, Meihe Garden, Formosan Aboriginal Cultural Village and Snake Kiln, and the 14 lake trails are the top choices for sightseeing and leisure activities; specialty recreational locations in surrounding areas include (organized based on tour theme): Jiji and Checheng (Railway Nostalgic Trip); Dili and Sangyong (Indigenous Village Tour); Lugao and Seshui (Black Tea Pottery Tour) and Puli Taumi and Toushe Live Basin (Nature and Ecological Tour).
How to get to Sun Moon Lake?
No trains go directly to Sun Moon Lake; the closest major station is Taichung, from where you will need to take a bus or taxi. Some direct buses are available from Taichung or Taipei, but often it is more convenient to take a bus from Taichung to Puli, then transfer buses for the half hour ride to Sun Moon Lake.
Bus From Taipei
1. Green Transit Bus (Feng Jung Bus): Running daily from Taipei MRT ZhongXiao FuXing Station (Taipei East Area, near SOGO department store, no 274, Fuxing east rd, ) and Sun Moon Lake. For timetable and other details, please contact + 886 2 27522988 (Taipei), or + 886 49 2990407 (Puli)
2. GuoGuang Bus (國光客運, formerly TaiChi Bus): Four buses run daily from Taipei West Station (near Taipei Train Station) to Sun Moon Lake. +866 2 23119893 (Taipei), or + 886 49 2990407 (Puli). Taipei West Station is accessible underground directly from MRT Taipei Main Station since it is on the other side of a large road.
Bus From Taichung
1. Nan-Tou Bus (南投客運) Running daily from Taichung Kan-Cheng Station (干城站) at Shuangshi Road (雙十路, near the railway station) to High Speed Rail Taichung Station to Puli and then to Sun Moon Lake for NT$200 one way. The whole trip takes about 90mins.
2. Renyou Bus (仁友客運) has less frequent departures from Liouchuan East Road (柳川東路) near the railway station for NT$200 one-way and NT$350 for a return ticket.
3. GuoGuang buses from Taipei stop over in Chaoma station in Taichung.
- Nice for Family or Couple
- Alluring beauty especially during Sunrise
- Wonderful place to visit with family
- A lot more fun if you like to be outdoors
- Beautiful lake surrounded by interesting temples
599, Jhongshan Rd., Yuchih Township, Nantou County 555, Taiwan
Tips for you
There are several things to do at Sun Moon Lake. Below are some recommendatio for your reference. Take a boat ride to tour around the lake. There are 2 stop during the boat ride and per ticket is NT300, however I was told by some customers that they managed to get it for NT100, I didn't have the time doing survey as I running out of time. Maybe you guys wish to do some price comparison with some of the boat Operators. Next take the Cable Car to has a bird view of the sun moon lake, the scenic view is superb, not to worry about the safety of the cable car as it is definitely so much safer than the one in Taipei. Please take note the operation hour especially the last ride ended at 4pm. If you have time to spare, you may wish to try out cycle around the lake, especially do it in the early morning, the weather is really cool and the ride will be fun and definitely an awesome experience. Please note do make it a point to visit their customer service centre as the view from there is fantastic, a wonderful spot for photographer taking some great shot of Sun Moon Lake. Some may wish to visit the temple on the mountaintop or strolling along the old street for some shopping or food tasting. However a boat ride and cable car is definitely a must do things at Sun Moon Lake.