Image copyrights belong to authors
Why Hyeopjae Beach is special ?
Hyeopjae Beach (협재해수욕장) is located on the west side of Hanrim-eup, and is part of Hanrim Park. The beautiful white color of the sand comes from the large amounts of crushed seashells that have been mixed in with the sand. The long seashore stretches for 9 km and has cobalt colored seawater and evergreen forests scattered around the vicinity, making the scenery very beautiful. Just off the beach is Biyangdo Island. The white sandy beach is about 20 meters long, and the water is 1.2 meters deep with no sudden drops. In the evergreen groves, there are plenty of convenient facilities and campgrounds for visitors to use.
What to explore at Hyeopjae Beach?
When the tide is out there is lots of sand to play on. The difference in water level between low tide and high tide is approximately 2 meters. If you want to play in the water then low tide may be better. High tide is good for proper swimming because the water is deeper. Good snorkling is at high tide when the water covers the rocks at both Keumneung beach 금능 해수욕장 and Hyeopjae beach 협재 해수욕장. Just swim slowly over the rocks and you should see many fish.
Parasols (파라솔) are available for rent for 10,000 and are popular. You can also put a tent on the beach if you wish. The area is signposted. This is a good way to stop the wind and give you somewhere safe from the sun. There is a camping ground between Hyeopjae beach 협재 해수욕장 and Keumneung beach 금능 해수욕장 which is popular during summer. Life guards (or beach police) are on duty from late June to the last day of August. The yellow plastic bouys floating in the water are put thereby the beach police to mark out the safe swimming area.
How to get to Hyeopjae Beach?
From Seoul to Jeju
1. From Gimpo Airport (Subway Line No. 5, Gimpo Airport Station) / Incheon Airport, take the airport limousine bus.
2. Inquiries: http://www.airport.or.kr/ / +82-1577-2600 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
From Jeju to Hyeopjae Beach
1. From Jeju Airport, take bus No. 100/200 or taxi (about 2000won) → Get off at Jeju Intercity Bus Terminal. → Transfer to an intercity bus that runs on Il-ju Road to the west → Get off at Hanrim Park (first bus 5:40, last bus 9:00 / 20 min interval / travel time: 45mins.)
2. Take a taxi at Jeju Cross-country Bus Terminal (travel time: 35-40 mins.)
- Awesome view and lovely place to relax
- A Silver sand beach of Jeju
- Blue color of beach water. Very good
- Great fun lively summer beach
- White sands with great sunset
Jeju, Jeju-do, South Korea
Tips for you
Hanrim Park nearby, provides interesting tour sites such as a subtropical arboretum, Hyeopjaegul Cave, and Ssangyonggul Cave. The seashore to the southwest of Hyeopjae Beach connects to another beach called Geumreung Beach, and both beaches combined are also called Hyeopjae Beach. From any beach on Jejudo Island, you can always see Mt. Hallasan. It is a great place for a relaxing family vacation.Things nearby
“Best Beach in Korea” Located on the far western shore of Jeju Island, Hyeopjae receives a fraction of the visitors compared to other well-known Korean beaches. My wife and I enjoyed a spectacular sunset here after a fun half-day spent swimming and exploring the volcanic tide pools. The beach is superb for three reasons. 1) Great location (not a city-beach), scenic view of islands and volcanic rocks strung along northern portion of the beach. 2) Relatively few visitors compared to other Korean beaches 3) Water and beach are clean, shallow water makes the beach great for families
It is just PERFECT ! Incredible view !