High Island Reservoir is one of Hong Kong’s most popular geological sites with the wonderful volcanic rock, which composes of giant polygonal joint columns. Amongst these the Hexagonal Volcanic Rock Columns are most typical Geo Wonders and rarely found in the world.
Image copyrights belong to authors
Why Geopark Wonders Walk: Hexagonal Columns half day is special ?
- Sai Kung volcanic Rock Region of the Hong Kong Global Geopark of China
- World class Hexagonal Volcanic Rock Column formation at East Dam of High Island Reservoir
- Closely observe Hexagonal Volcanic Rock Column with diameter over 1.2m
- Geopark Guides Professional Interpretation
What to explore at Geopark Wonders Walk: Hexagonal Columns half day?
Pavilion on the dam：Overview of the establishment of GeoPark and history of High Island Reservoir
Downhill path：Explanation of rocks classificationS-shaped rock pillar：Geo-tour guide of intrusive rock, joints and faultsBreakwater：Appreciation of Po Pin Chau, sea cave and understanding of the function of anchorate breakwater
1. Personal Overseas Travel Insurance is Highly Recommended
2. Date and timing of the Guide schedule might be changed by tour guide on spot depending on the traffic, weather and the environmental condition etc. on spot according to the principle of safety.
3. Itineraries are subject to change without prior notice due to local conditions, transportation changes or if any unexpected circumstances (like Heavy Rain, Earthquake, War or Natural Disaster). We reserve the right to re-arrange, cancel or replace the elements of the itinerary. We are not responsible for any loss if tour itinerary / timing of transportation changed in response to unforeseen circumstances.
- Professional Geo Park Guide (English/Mandarin speaking)
- Round-trip transportation from Sai Kung Town Centre to High Island Reservoir (Taxi)
- Insurance of HK$100,000 for accidental death and disablement (per accidental limit)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Personal expenses
Suite A2, 1/F, Bing Fu Commercial Building, 450-454 Portland Street, Prince Edward, Kln
Sai Kung Town Centre